2.16.2009

Seeing Aqua in the Kitchen

UPDATE: Ok, so everyone was asking for a tutorial on how I did this. Well, I'm going to give up a big secret here...this is not a real roman shade, ah, gasp! Since its up high in the kitchen and was not going to be used, I made it a faux shade. If you looked at the back side of it, it would not be so pretty...but since I also have a shade I didnt really care.

Anyone can make this, even if they cant really sew...it just takes a few straight lines. I took the Ikat fabric and a piece of white fabric and stitched them together (right sides in) leaving a small opening in the middle of one of the long ends (like a really big pillowcase). Then turn it right side out and iron flat. Lay it out flat and take the edge with the opening and turn down, creating a kind of pocket to slip the rod into...and here is the big secret, I used safety pins to make the pocket- just pin though the white layer so it does not show through on the front. Then do the same to create the folds, I just eyeballed how far up I wanted them to be pinned and then just used about 3-4 safety pins per fold.

Once it was done, I made sure everything was even from the front, slipped in the tension rod, and voila- done! I know this wont work for everyone since its not very neat from behind and it does not function- but for what I wanted its just perfect.

So there you have it, I'm a fraud- I'm not this amazing seamstress who whipped up a roman shade in an hour- I just fooled you all :) Anyway, its really easy to do and if anyone needs more info just email me, I'd be happy to try and help.

______________________________________________
I had posted about wanting to change out my kitchen curtain in a pretty pink fabric here, so I went to the fabric store today but no pink fabrics were jumping out at me, so sad. I did end up finding this beautiful Schumacher aqua ikat fabric though. I was beyond excited when I found this little bundle of joy in the corner, and it was for a fraction of what it probably originally cost.

The color is a little off, but here is the pattern- its called "Nusa Ikat"


And here is what the curtain looked like before


After putting some of my fab sewing skills to work, here is how the faux roman shade turned out


It still needs some tiny tweaking, but that involves taking it down and and it was too late in the evening to be doing that, so I just took the pics.

So, for the next few months or so this is what it will look like, that is till I get sick of it and find something else. Yeah for Presidents Day projects!

10 comments:

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Love it. You are so good with the sewing machine. I need to take some lessons. Now that I have some time I really want to make a cover for my exsisting to headboard and make it look like tufted headboard instead.

Devon said...

Great job on the curtain. The color is gorgeous and I'm envying your ability to whip out something with your sewing machine. Any time to post a DIY for us new to sewing??

Elizabeth said...

Nice choice! I'd like a DIY tutorial as well...

Sweet Nothings said...

fantastic

Lauren said...

Linsday!! love it & you're so talented!! yes we need a tutorial!!
xoxo

kay* said...

looks great. i second (fourth) the request for a tutorial...i really must get my sewing machine out...my windows are still bare (well, actually, i have a blanket hanging at it. i know! the horror!) lol

Brilliant Asylum said...

Nice job. One of these days I am going to buy a sewing machine and save a bundle!

KitchAnn said...

The curtain is very pretty. I'd like to see you pop the wall with color to make it stand out even more.

Haven and Home said...

Very creative! I am all about easy sewing!

Terri said...

Very nice - I love the colour!