Week 5 is here and the end is near. But not here yet, that's for sure. I feel like I've come so far, but I still have a few major hurdles to go. (If you want to catch up on past weeks check out: week 1, week 2, week 3 and week 4)
Last week I showed you my bar cabinet, and boy has it been one of the best makeovers in my apartment. But a close second might be the extra storage armoire, which also happens to be in my kitchen. After my wedding two years ago I had so many amazing new things and no place to put them.
I picked up an antique armoire on craigslist to fill the storage need in my kitchen. The storage was a welcome addition. I bought it over a year ago and since then it sat stuffed to the gills and looked like this
Honestly I don't think I ever opened the doors. I was scared what I was going to find and figured I would never find what I was actually looking for.
There was no other place to start other then taking everything out and starting fresh
I took off the doors and gave the inside a coat of primer. I like primer because it not only covers any stains or knots that might be in the wood, but it also means less coats of my final color.
Can you see the mirror on the right door? It had to go. I used lots of duct tape over the surface to prevent injury in case it did shatter upon removal. I also wore
safety goggles sunglasses and heavy duty work gloves old leather winter gloves, safety first!
The key here was removing it without cracking the mirror. I do not need 7 years of bad luck in my future. This frameless mirror was attached directly on the plywood using heavy duty mounting tape. Meaning it was not going to be an easy job.
Oops the surprise is over, you can see the pretty color I painted the inside here!
Using my hairdryer to heat the mounting tape, I used a wire attached to two spoons to shimmy between the wood and mirror to remove the mounting tape.
It took some muscles, but it came off in one piece.
I filled in some of the holes, chips and imperfections with wood filler, sanded the doors down and got ready to paint.
All finished! (don't mind my ironing board)
I went with the BM Habanero Pepper for the inside of the armoire and I love how it came out. It's a reddish color with hints of pink, orange and hotness.
Since I took everything out for this project I used the opportunity to wash and organize it all before I put it away again. It's not all back together yet, so be sure to check back next week to see how it turned out.
Oh and next week also happens to be the final week, so all the little projects and crafts will be finished. I can't believe I have 1 week left!!
Be sure to check out the other 19 bloggers and see how their 5th week went